Monday, January 17, 2011

Nonnie’s Snow Day, 2011 ~ by Allison Rhodes, Decatur, Georgia

 Allison and Nonnie

Calm reigned over the neighborhood after an overnight blanket of snow covered the landscape. I stepped onto the porch and inhaled a pure, bright world. Suddenly it is 1959 and I am 11. Becky, Jim and I burst out the front door into the same fresh winter world. Siblings ready for a day of play we throw a few snowballs and then run up the hill to our grandmother’s house. Nonnie quickly reminded us she would like a patch of undisturbed snow outside her window to enjoy. She is old and says she doesn’t want to come out and slip or fall. We honor her request and began readying for our favorite snow activity: sliding down hills.

We had parts of cardboard boxes to sit on but were on the lookout for faster, more inventive “sleds.” We scavenge a round trash can lid and I sneak a metal serving tray from Mama’s kitchen. With handles on either side, that tray promises a good ride. We make the trek up the hill to the town schools. Elementary, junior high and high schools are all on one small town campus and at the far end is the football field. The field rests in a little valley and on one side is a wonderful steep hill. Riding down the hill with great speed it was sometimes possible to pass between the goal posts. You could then yell, “Touchdown”

We Rhodes children were early risers so we were first to the hill. All modes of transport down the hill are fine. We squeal with delight as we crash and tumble our way to the bottom. Other kids join the fun. Mama’s metal tray was a big hit and we owned some power because it was ours to lend out for a spin down the hill. Finally, with faces chapped red and clothing wet, we go home to dry out. Mama’s tray is replaced but all the dents prompted a good scolding for me, leader of the unruly pack.

Fifty years have passed. Now I stand at the living room window holding my grandson Rhodes. At age 3 months he has a lifetime of sliding down hills in front of him. I feel sad that I won’t be there for all his snow days but warmed by the prospect of sharing whatever memories we make. He will call me Nonnie and there may come a day when I ask him to leave me a patch of undefiled snow to enjoy. My knees are stiff and my rear is bigger than any metal trays I own so for now we’ll l take a little walk and throw a snowball or two.


 
Now Allison is Nonnie
Sights and smell evoke memories. Invite yourself to remember.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories and pictures. This will be quite a treasured piece for little Rhodes when he's a grown man. The writing and descriptions are wonderfu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Allison! I remember Nonnie too! What a grand lady! And how I used to wonder how Nonnie could always be so happy and Mamamma (Fannie, my grandmother and her sister) could always seem so grumpy!
    I love that part of my life, when we lived behind each other.
    Ann Schumacher Haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely memories and someday similar ones will be jotted down by by that cutie pie Rhodes.
    Thanks for commenting on TNS. I have all ready met Marcia. This looks to be a fun site.

    ReplyDelete